Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Sons of Liberty Cupboard

Reflecting on our upcoming show at Marlborough, MA, October 26th-October 28th.
I got to thinking of Boston’s History and its roll in the preliminary events that led to the American Revolution.

A little history research inspired the symbolic designs incorporated in a small one door, one drawer cabinet that I have painted to preview at this show opening.
The cabinet is vintage sheet music or document cabinet with shelving inside.
The dimensions are approximately “18D x 25” W 41” H




The cabinet is inspired by the events leading up to the American Revolution. The front door shows the symbolic image of the Indian maiden representing “America”. The Liberty tree is in the background where “Sons of Liberty” met to plan and discuss rebellious acts against unjust taxes imposed on the colonies.   The “ Stamp Act” of 1765 was one the first in a series of taxes imposed on the colonies. It was repealed in 1766. However many new taxes were imposed after that time including the one on tea that led up to the famous “Boston Tea Party” I have incorporated a painting of the Green Dragon tavern, on the drawer front, where the “Sons of Liberty “met. This was in a period prior to the “Boston Tea party .
I have tried to create an interesting visual work inspired by events and engravings and stories from the period leading up to the revolution.

All the images are my interpretations and I have taken artistic license to make them work on the cabinet. Any misinformation is mine alone. It has been fun reading some of this early history and using the images as a stepping off place to create a painted piece of folk art.

Marlene

1 comment:

  1. As always Marlene, your Sons of Liberty cabinet is incredible, and inspiring. What a wonderful way to remember our American history. Thank you

    ReplyDelete